Saturday, October 17, 2009

A MASTER OF ALL TRADES



This is the first in the series of interviews to know more about the TED India fellows,their views, thoughts and interests. This post would feature the interview I had over mail with Sanjukta Basu.

“There is nothing extra-ordinary about me except that I refuse to be ordinary at every turn of the road.”


Her interests: Anything under the sun.
Her mission: Empower women.

Here is the excerpt of the interview:

Me: Sanjukta, could you give us a brief background about yourself?

Sanjukta Basu(SB):I am a lawyer turned social media enthusiast, women and LGBT rights activist and more. I presently work for a non profit organization Breakthrough.


Me: Many congratulations on being nominated as a TED India Fellow. Below are the words that you wrote on your blog on being nominated:
“As I looked through the list of my fellow TED fellows I felt how insignificant my academic achievements are in comparison to them. I don’t have no foreign degrees or Phds, I didn’t go to Harvard, I am no IITian, IIMite or ISBite, I am no school topper, I never won a medal or a trophy for academics. I graduated out of ordinary school and college with medium grades.”
What do you think has brought you this far?

SB: Well I think it’s my unique individuality that has got me this far, I often say, “There is nothing extra-ordinary about me except that I refuse to be ordinary at every turn of the road.” I try to think out of the box in everything I do, I dare to do things no one else have done, though it may not be something too big.


Me: Goes a saying “Anything that refuses to change ceases to exist”. Is this the reason for “Change” being your much preferred hobby?

SB: Well for me change is the only way forward otherwise I get bored in this journey called life. Life wouldn’t be worth while if we all just did the same things, have same dreams, follow same pursuits etc all our lives. Some of us do that, and I wonder how? My father for example, he did the same job for 40 years, I can’t do that. I need to change myself constantly more than anything else.



Me: A woman, a world citizen, prolific writer, activist, blogger, lawyer, photographer and so on. If I may ask, what is the next facet that you want to add to your bag of talents and why?

SB: To be honest I don’t know what is next. I didn’t add any of the above things in my bag consciously, it’s not like I woke one morning and decided I wanna be a blogger now, or photographer, those things just happened. But there’s one that that’s sure, I would keep doing exciting projects related to women’s empowerment, travel, writing, social media etc. And I would continue to share my life through my writings. Sometimes you learn just by witnessing someone’s life.


Me: You have set your marks on a variety of fields. What drives you to move ahead with all the more energy and passion?

SB: One thing that drives me always is a constant effort to bridge gaps. Every where I look I see people living in their own little worlds oblivious to the pain and sorrow of other’s. There is just too much gap between various classes and communities, the rich-poor, straight-gay. We need to know about other people to understand them. With social media and the power of web publication we can now bring communities together, something that I try to achieve. The other thing that keeps me going is love for travel, meeting new people. If one pays for my travel, stay and food I would jump into any assignment. All I need is my laptop, camera, broadband and I am sorted :)


Me: Can you share with us about the people who have shaped or touched your lives?

SB: My family to begin with - Mom, dad, sister. My sister and I grew up in different times; She’s almost a decade younger than me. Yet I never went too far, instead I waited for her to catch up with me. So it’s like I had a ‘growing up’ twice. I learnt and unlearned a lot of things with her as she grew up. She is also my greatest critic so we fight a lot, fights are learning process too.

And then some of the men I dated, some of them were nice, but some were horrible mistakes, we learn from our mistakes specially me. And may be Aamir Khan too for a bit.

Me: Most of your poems seem to be the reflections of your search for true love. According to you, true love means………

SB: I think true love is a momentous ecstatic feeling which transcends all materialistic pleasures, desires, logic etc. It’s a moment when you want to give your everything to someone, you want to lose yourself and be one with the person you love. It is not necessarily a union of bodies but of minds. It might not have anything to do with worldly arrangements like marriage and procreation. I would say what Meera Bai felt for lord Krishna was true love.


Me: Where do you think you are now, in your efforts to use blogging extensively to reach out to the less privileged? How successful has it proved to be?

SB: I think I have only just started; it’s a long way to go. I want to see myself opening up social media centers in every village in India putting them on world map. I am far from achieving that as of now. But there are other things I am proud of. I inspire people to think differently, I inspire them to think, communicate, question. I am particularly proud of my efforts to bringing many people together as bloggers community. There are small things that matter a lot, for eg I am aware that there are people who found love, friends via these communities, people who rediscovered their own potential. These are achievements albeit insignificant.


Me: Do you see enough provisions in the Indian Penal Code to try the increasing crimes against women and children? What are the changes (if any) that you would like to be amended in the legislature as a lawyer and as a woman?

SB: I think yes. Though there is always space for more laws on marital rape, rape within intimate same sex relationships etc. But the laws we already have is considerably a lot, if not enough, to tackle crimes against women provided, and that’s an all caps ‘PROVIDED’ laws are followed, proper action are taken when they are broken, police and judiciary act honestly. As of now, none of these conditions are achieved. Half of the people don’t care about law they break it and then get away with it because of corrupt systems. System will change only when we introduce gender sensitization in the very patriarchal structure of police and judiciary.


Me: What would be your words of guidance to people wanting to be like you?

SB: He he, that’s quite a question. I am not sure how many people want to be like me; I mean am not a star. But I have a few tips – Always dare to be different, find an excuse for a change. Be honest to your heart always; remember truth is the greatest safety net. And finally, it’s ok to talk about something we do; it’s ok to talk about sex - because it really is something we do. Believe me babies don’t grow on trees neither are they gift wrapped and delivered by Angels.

3 comments:

Sanjukta said...

Thanks for taking my interview :) But the half Tom Cruise - half me pic is kinda silly :P can you please change it :)

maria said...

was this a satire or a serious interview? starting with that photo which SB herself seems to not approve, and then answers like "what words of guidance you have" : - "lets talk about sex openly!" and some other really borderline comic stuff...its hard to take this seriously.

M.Bharath Yeshwanth said...

@Sanjukta:
The picture represented to me equality among the genders and that is why I decided to put it. That's been changed.

@Maria:
I took this thing very seriously. Perception varies.